Last Articles

1998 honda accord main relay problems acura tire lock key rustoleum tint spray locking lug nut removal tool autozone signs of a seized engine 5k hid lights car won't start making clicking noise maaco half price sale 2016 bushing repair cost car doesn't start clicking sound srs light meaning how to install a subwoofer and amp plasti dip gloss finish how to adjust clutch pedal civic car wont start ticking sound rack pinion steering leak cost 2003 honda pilot brake light switch replacement
Community
Search
Notices

To Get the DieHard Platinum Battery or Not...

Search this Thread
Old 08-22-2011, 01:17 PM
Registered Member

To Get the DieHard Platinum Battery or Not...

Hey Everyone

So, I have been doing some extensive research and have gone through all of the posts on here about good battery replacements, and I was hoping I could bounce this off of you guys.

I brought my car to the stealership to get the transmission replaced because I was still under warranty, and SURPRISE SURPRISE...my car was returned to me with another issue. The battery has died out and has been doing so since I got my car back (been about two days).

I am pretty sure, the battery's replacement would be covered under warranty as well, but I no longer want to have anything to do with "THEM" to the best of my abilities. [For the past 5 years they have given me terrible service, which has also ended up costing me thousands of dollars. (Paragon Acura and Acura of Brooklyn to be exact) SMH] On that note, I figured I would find out if there are any better "performing" batteries out there than Acura's OEM one.

A bunch of you guys have had similar issues with your battery, and it has pretty much been summed up to either the Optima Red Top or the Sears DieHard Platinum...

Now that you guys have been able to a few years on these batteries, which would you suggest and why? I live in New York and need to make sure my next battery can hold up well to extreme changes in temperature.

It seems our battery is a group size 24F but some of you have mentioned getting the battery in a (34/35)/78. What is the difference, and what would I have to do to make sure the batteries fit and function properly? (BTW Sears charges $12 to install the battery. Sounds like I'll just have them put in the battaery if I go "DieHard".) Would I also have to get new cables and such?

Your feedback/input would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks and sorry for the long post..I tend to do that when I am pissed off...it takes the dealership 3 weeks to give me my car back only to find that the power steering now feels a little stiffer than before and my battery dies only hours after picking my car up. Sigh...

This is exhausting...
Old 08-22-2011, 02:50 PM
Registered Member

I work at a shop, I have seen more optima batteries replaced under warranty than any other brand! maybe its our climate??
Interstate is popular here, and I threw in an 85$ megatron plus and its been good.
Old 08-22-2011, 02:53 PM
Registered Member

From what I hear, the diehard platinum is the one to get if you need the best. You running a huge audio system or something? They are twice as much as the high end ones from autozone. Those get good marks as well.
Old 08-22-2011, 02:55 PM

Thanked 13,654 Times in 10,122 Posts
I have a battery from walmart.

why are the OEM batt. so bad?
Old 08-22-2011, 03:08 PM
BANNED

Thanked 2,877 Times in 1,781 Posts
don't pay sears to put in your battery. it takes 5 mins and a 10mm socket.
Old 08-22-2011, 03:13 PM
the overexplainer

I can vouch for interstate. Lasted in my 93 integra since it came with it in '06 to '11 when I gave it away. No problems.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:37 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by geekybiker View Post
From what I hear, the diehard platinum is the one to get if you need the best. You running a huge audio system or something? They are twice as much as the high end ones from autozone. Those get good marks as well.
I am not running a huge audio system, but I do play my music loud and don't want to ever come across any more issues with batteries...so I wanna have the best or very close to it. Also, I am assuming this would make me future proof for any HID/electrical (most likely just lighting) upgrades...

Autozone has Red Tops and Duracell Gold...I don't know much about Duracell, but it seems like if I want a good battery there aren't too many options out there...
Old 08-22-2011, 06:51 PM
[x] FWCC [x]

Originally Posted by SILKO View Post
I am not running a huge audio system, but I do play my music loud and don't want to ever come across any more issues with batteries...so I wanna have the best or very close to it. Also, I am assuming this would make me future proof for any HID/electrical (most likely just lighting) upgrades...

Autozone has Red Tops and Duracell Gold...I don't know much about Duracell, but it seems like if I want a good battery there aren't too many options out there...
I'd gotten Optima yellow tops for this car and on my previous car. Never had a problem and always had my car with its music blasting for hours without the engine running. It has never died on me. So I'd put my on it
Old 08-22-2011, 08:07 PM
Registered Member

Thanked 1,773 Times in 1,255 Posts
I've had countless problems with my Red and Yellow tops along with my father. I got my current Red top so cheap that I had to use it but after 3 years it's getting slower to crank and I have about 5 minutes max of reserve power with the stereo on.

The Platinum is a rebadged Odyssey. It's not "like" an Odyssey, it "is" an Odyssey. Much better and newer technology than the outdated Optima and about the same price. The Platinum is usually a little cheaper than the Odyssey branded battery.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:04 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by I hate cars View Post
I've had countless problems with my Red and Yellow tops along with my father. I got my current Red top so cheap that I had to use it but after 3 years it's getting slower to crank and I have about 5 minutes max of reserve power with the stereo on.

The Platinum is a rebadged Odyssey. It's not "like" an Odyssey, it "is" an Odyssey. Much better and newer technology than the outdated Optima and about the same price. The Platinum is usually a little cheaper than the Odyssey branded battery.
Yup. There are only like 3 battery makers in the US. Its all rebranded stuff for the most part. Illusion of choice and all that. The store brands from the auto parts stores are made by the same people who make the name brands. Pick a CCA level you're happy with and buy on warranty and price IMHO.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:35 PM
Registered Member

Thanked 1,261 Times in 930 Posts
Yup. There are only like 3 battery makers in the US......
That's news to me. Any documentation to prove that?

I have the DH Platinum. Can't vouch for heat performance up here in ND, but it's been through 2 winters (3 years) and still going strong. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one...

On the other hand, the Everstart batteries got great reviews in CR, IIRC. Do a search, I posted a CR battery review within the last year.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:55 PM
Registered Member

Yup. There are only like 3 battery makers in the US. Its all rebranded stuff for the most part. Illusion of choice and all that. The store brands from the auto parts stores are made by the same people who make the name brands. Pick a CCA level you're happy with and buy on warranty and price IMHO.
I thought there were 5 but either way, you're right, the vast majority are from one of these few manufacturers and rebadged.
Old 08-23-2011, 12:14 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by nfnsquared View Post

I have the DH Platinum. Can't vouch for heat performance up here in ND, but it's been through 2 winters (3 years) and still going strong. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one...

On the other hand, the Everstart batteries got great reviews in CR, IIRC. Do a search, I posted a CR battery review within the last year.
You're in luck, I found the link!
http://autos.msn.com/advice/CRArt.as...tentid=4023696

"Most auto batteries are made by just three manufacturers, Delphi, Exide, and Johnson Controls Industries. Each makes batteries sold under several different brand names. Delphi makes ACDelco and some EverStart (Wal-Mart) models. Exide makes Champion, Exide, Napa, and some EverStart batteries. Johnson Controls makes Diehard (Sears), Duralast (AutoZone), Interstate, Kirkland (Costco), Motorcraft (Ford), and some EverStarts. "

Maybe three is a little over statement. There are probably minor players. But its pretty much like saying there are three auto makers in the US.
Old 08-23-2011, 01:05 AM
Registered Member

I got mine at Costco and it's been fine for 2 years- after all it's just a battery that has a 4 year warranty. I'm not sure why anyone would need to pay 4x for a different brand that doesn't last as long. There's a cover over the battery so nobody will really know or care what brand you have except you.

One tip is use a battery power unit and plug into the cig/power socket in the car while you replace the new battery- this way you can skip having to enter all the codes and reteach things. I did that it worked great.
Old 08-23-2011, 01:50 AM
Registered Member

Consumer Reports had this article on that.
http://consumerreports.org/cro/c...ery-brands.htm

Old 08-23-2011, 08:40 AM
Registered Member

What group size did you get your DH in? I have read some people say they got the 34 (P1), some the 34/78 (P4), and others the 35 (P5).

People have also mentioned having to install the battery in reverse due to the negative/ground being on the opposite side. What was your installation experience?

Thanks

Originally Posted by LaCostaRacer View Post
I got mine at Costco and it's been fine for 2 years- after all it's just a battery that has a 4 year warranty. I'm not sure why anyone would need to pay 4x for a different brand that doesn't last as long. There's a cover over the battery so nobody will really know or care what brand you have except you.

One tip is use a battery power unit and plug into the cig/power socket in the car while you replace the new battery- this way you can skip having to enter all the codes and reteach things. I did that it worked great.
Aside from the Radio Code...what other code(s) or reprogramming is there?

Also, I would think it would be cool for the ECUs to be "refreshed" and have to learn your driving pattern all over again (especially if it is a second hand car...which in my case...I bought my '05 TL in Jan '07 with 13K miles on it). This part of the overall process would give your car a new feel... Yes/No?

Last edited by SILKO; 08-23-2011 at 08:45 AM.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:16 AM
NBP is a pain...

I can vouch for Duralast Gold. Works great in my TL and in my dad's Camry.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:27 AM
Registered Member

Bump
Old 08-24-2011, 08:33 AM
Registered Member

Any good brand name battery with a nice replacement warrenty is usually your best bet. Shop around!
Old 08-24-2011, 08:38 AM
Registered Member

My oem battery died after 5 years just a couple weeks ago when NY had 100 plus temps, it happened when I got out the barbershop. I knew right away it was the battery, I guess not bad after 5 years. I just ran to autobarn quickly and got a $100 battery. Hopefully it will last me another 5 years.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:04 AM
Registered Member

Keep in mind, the lower the CCA, the more reliable it will be especially in very hot climates. Factory was around 450CCA I think. There's no need for a 1,000CCA battery on a little V6, there's no benefit except in very cold climates and even then it's not much.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:20 AM
Registered Member

So I am still stuck on Group Size...

Higher end batteries don't seem to use Group Size 24F, and it seems most people end up going with either 34, 34/78, or 35. Which will best fit a plug and play type of scenario?

BTW...I would like to thank everyone for their input thus far...it has been great!!!

Cheers
Old 08-24-2011, 10:40 AM
takin care of Business in

Thanked 4,715 Times in 4,052 Posts
hey Silko...Acura has a 100month (8 year) warranty on the battery....why dont u take it in and get it replaced for free....?

Recently took my girl's Lexus to Advanced Auto Parts and get the GOLD Autocraft battery....24F size and amazing battery....3 years replacement and 8 years prorated warranty....it was $108 and they had a 25% off if you buy online discount....so i bought it online using my phone and said "pickup in store"...all in all they installed for free and I walked out paying like 80 bucks.....not bad....
Old 08-24-2011, 10:42 AM
Registered Member

i went with the yellow top... it was $219 at VatoZone and i found a coupon online for 80 off a 200 purchase.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:56 AM
Registered Member

Like others have stated, most batteries are made by just a handful of manufacturers. However even if they are made at the same plant, they can be built to different specs. Plate thickness, case design, and various other items can vary on the brand being sold.

But.....unless you are doing something that really puts strain on the battery, I have found there isn't much difference between them all. Most of my batteries over the past 20 years have been what ever the mid-grade brand is at the local parts store or at Wally-World depending on where I am when my battery finally gives out. Most of my batteries over the years have lasted at least 5 years. The ones that did not usually failed within the first few months....there will always be a bad one in the batch.

So do buy on size, CCA, and warranty. Keep in mind on the warranty that you need to make sure the store you buy it from that handles the warranty is in a place that is convenient when you need to use that warranty. One reason I do like to buy my batteries from Wally-World even know I mostly despise that place. No matter where I am in the US, I can probably find one nearby as well as they are open later than most parts stores.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:10 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by swoosh View Post
hey Silko...Acura has a 100month (8 year) warranty on the battery....why dont u take it in and get it replaced for free....?

Recently took my girl's Lexus to Advanced Auto Parts and get the GOLD Autocraft battery....24F size and amazing battery....3 years replacement and 8 years prorated warranty....it was $108 and they had a 25% off if you buy online discount....so i bought it online using my phone and said "pickup in store"...all in all they installed for free and I walked out paying like 80 bucks.....not bad....
I have grown to really hate the dealerships in the NYC area...

They have the worst service and never do a good job. On top of that, they never truly fix my car issues and it seems like they create new ones, because I always have another issue with my car when it is returned.

At this point I want to avoid the delaership as much as possible because they are ridiculous. It is amazing how apathetic, immoral, and asinine the technicians and service advisors are.

Unfortunately, if taking it to the dealership can save me $200 dollars on buying the battery myself, I will have to consider that. I just don't understand why people don't take pride in what they do anymore. If you have to do it...just do it! It's your job...
Old 08-24-2011, 01:38 PM
takin care of Business in

Thanked 4,715 Times in 4,052 Posts
did you take a box of doughnuts/bagels over there LOL ? I know it sounds crazy but it works

also, just go in there ask for a battery check and replacement under warranty....
Old 08-24-2011, 06:49 PM
[x] FWCC [x]

I have grown to really hate the dealerships in the NYC area...

They have the worst service and never do a good job. On top of that, they never truly fix my car issues and it seems like they create new ones, because I always have another issue with my car when it is returned.

At this point I want to avoid the delaership as much as possible because they are ridiculous. It is amazing how apathetic, immoral, and asinine the technicians and service advisors are.

Unfortunately, if taking it to the dealership can save me $200 dollars on buying the battery myself, I will have to consider that. I just don't understand why people don't take pride in what they do anymore. If you have to do it...just do it! It's your job...
Acura of Westchester will do the trick! Plus the nicest waiting area ever. Free muffins and coffee lol
Old 08-24-2011, 09:58 PM
Registered Member

Aside from the Radio Code...what other code(s) or reprogramming is there?

Also, I would think it would be cool for the ECUs to be "refreshed" and have to learn your driving pattern all over again (especially if it is a second hand car...which in my case...I bought my '05 TL in Jan '07 with 13K miles on it). This part of the overall process would give your car a new feel... Yes/No?
Radio Code, Navi Code, Power Windows
You don't need a battery saver or anything. Just replace the battery with the car running.

You can reset the ECU without disconnecting the battery. Look it up.

Last edited by SpiderX1016; 08-24-2011 at 10:02 PM.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:04 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by SpiderX1016 View Post
Radio Code, Navi Code, Power Windows
You don't need a battery saver or anything. Just replace the battery with the car running.

You can reset the ECU without disconnecting the battery. Look it up.
You run a good chance of destroying the ECU and other electrical components. A modern car should never be run without a battery.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:27 PM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

^As long as it doesn't actually run/drive right?

I've always ran the car off the battery just to check the alternator as my monthly maintenance just to see if everything is "a" OK.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:27 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by I hate cars View Post
You run a good chance of destroying the ECU and other electrical components. A modern car should never be run without a battery.
Always been told that but I've never heard of an actual problem caused by it.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:52 AM
Registered Member

You can go to Walmart or Costco and get one made by Johnson Controls. Most of the rebranded units have the original manufacturer written right on top. I replaced the Accord battery from Walmart.

It's good to have a little higher CCA number especially if you've got a booming system.
Old 08-26-2011, 01:19 AM
Registered Member

Thanked 1,261 Times in 930 Posts
What group size did you get your DH in? I have read some people say they got the 34 (P1), some the 34/78 (P4), and others the 35 (P5).
Sorry, been busy. 24F, terminals are fine.