Last Articles

2001 honda accord shift solenoid location honda odyssey crankshaft pulley removal 2009 acura tsx owners manual 2007 honda accord v6 transmission honda ridgeline rear bumper cover acura tl radio serial number how much bumper repair cost wheel hub replacement cost vht lens tint 2012 acura rlx for sale honda civic heater blows cold air 2005 chevy cavalier clutch problems average price for 4 tires installed sumitomo tour lxt car wheel lock key 2004 honda civic brake light stays on car painting cost maaco 2002 honda accord ex v6 transmission problems kenwood protect error
Community
Search
Notices

Looking to start Modding

Search this Thread
Old 04-15-2017, 04:15 PM

Looking to start Modding

What's up guys, I'm looking to start adding mods to my 2003 3.2CL Type-S. I'm here to get some guidance on how to start and what mods I should look into first. Any help will be greatly appreciated!
Old 06-26-2017, 02:49 PM
Registered Member

Welcome to detskaya-baraholka, and you will love your CL.

I would start off with the following:

Cold Air Intake
Exhaust
Headers
Old 06-26-2017, 02:51 PM

Thanked 13,654 Times in 10,122 Posts
for me; I would start off with maintenance. it's a 14 year old car! when something goes bad, then upgrade it!
for example; suspension...if your shocks havent been replaced in 14 years, time to go with some sexy coilovers.
brakes- same thing. get some upgraded brakes.
tires- fuck, go for summer tires!!

upgrading the intake doesnt do jack shit, and I would stay away from that mod...only cuz there's no improvements to be made there...unless you go all out with a 4 inch diameter intake
Old 07-12-2017, 03:22 AM
I broke what now??

Maintenance, add a transmission cooler if auto, after that the order in which I did my mods is as follows;

Blacked out Taillights - I made the red part black and left the top clear, looks awesome and with bright bulbs it still is clear at night. I used rustoleom lense tint and some super expensive clear coat that is still holding up. Take your time if you do anything like this
Painted Bumper - I got color matched paint and painted the black exposed plastic in my bumper silver with a clear coat on top, it looks really nice and has held up well for only light prep
Headers - I bought OBX and they were made at entirely incorrect angles (Seller is bigdawgtuning14 on eBay, they were downright rude and unprofessional) Now I run a mystery set from a 6 speed, assumed eBay but there's no way aren't after a side-by-side quality comparison.
Exhaust - Im running an eBay exhaust for a 2002 accord with the fart cans chopped off with my stock cat, it is 2.5 inches to dual 2.25 and sounds horrible from 2-3k rpm. This plus the headers made a huge difference throughout the rev range.
TB Coolant Bypass- the throttle body stays cool longer and throttle response might have been better, it could be placebo. But this mod was required for the VSA delete anyways.
Brakes - I put on some dual piston calipers from a 1995 legend (I think?) and it stops a lot better. It makes it sort of a boat with breaks as opposed to stock doing nothing but warping rotors and not stopping where I wanted it to.
Cold air Intake - Custom built 4" intake with a K&N filter, seen here --> /forums/second-...e-cl-s-944467/
VSA Throttle Body delete - It helps with throttle response and I think everything just seems to run better when I get on the accelerator when it is gone.
Pulleys - I have what may or may not be a decent underdrive pulley, everything seems ok but they scare me a little still. I did pick up noticeable low end torque and it revs faste
Manifold Spacer - I unfortunately spent the money on the p2r spacer, not sure what I think to be honest. I would go back and use a full size spacer and just cut/adjust the hood if I could. Not sure what it really does, I thought I felt more power from 1.5 to 4k and a little less than before in VTEC
Thermal Gaskets - These are worth it, nothing noticeable at first but when summer comes around both my throttle body and intake manifold almost feel cold when I get off the highway.
Porting/Polishing - I had my runners ported and polished, most noticeable mod since headers/exhaust. I would imagine the giant intake helps boost the gains here.
Old 07-12-2017, 03:52 AM
I broke what now??

Over all it has been a great setup, I am not one to race but when a 2012-14ish? mustang with the 5.0 started taunting me several days ago I just opened it up and left him behind. The headers, exhaust, and intake with slight weight reduction already had me breaking a 14 second quarter. Since the pulley, ported runners, everything else, and some more weight reduction I don't know how fast it is and won't until I run at street car takeover assuming they still have a 13 second class.

The only problems I have are if I hit the pedal too hard the engine loses power, flooring it to WOT is bad, I had to learn how fast to mash the pedal to go fast and it makes it a little more fun to drive. This is likely a combo of the under drive pulley and how little restriction the intake gives. The other issue is that I have to reset the ECU a little more often to account for changes in temperature and barometric pressure, if you don't it will start wanting to die when you stop, or it will develop a mini idle surge problem. I believe this is also related to how unrestricted the airflow is as well as the lack of a weight to help keep the crankshaft spinning.

Contact Us Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.