Last Articles

honda crv b1 service code 2006 acura mdx review 2007 acura tsx type s squeaky steering wheel diehard battery platinum acura wont start michelin tires sale costco homemade headlight restorer interstate megatron ii car steering wheel squeaks when turning sumitomo touring lx t acura rsx manual transmission steering wheel makes noise when i turn it 96 honda accord transmission problems 04 acura rsx type s specs acura owners club add seafoam to gas tank
Community
Search
Notices

I got sh!t for new tires....

Search this Thread
Old 07-20-2008, 06:12 PM
Registered Member

Angry I got sh!t for new tires....

Ok, maybe its just one of those "They're not bad, you just have to get used to it..." kind of things.

I beg to differ.

I was gonna go buy myself some new tires yesterday, but my parents intervened and we're like "Oh, well we'll help you out since you are about to go off to college and we know you're already buying everything, blah blah blah"

I think to myself "AWESOME!!!"

So I go down to the local NTB and after some discussion got these tires (by a company I've never heard before...I didn't have a whole lot of say since he was buying....BAAAAAD idea) from Sumitomo. Sumi what??

I talk myself out of judging a tire before riding it just cause I've never heard the name. It sounded like a pretty good tire. He got them because they had a 70,000 mile warranty, and were only $140 a pop. Mind you, I am not an extremely spirited driver either, I usually drive at or under the speed limit, and aren't weaving in and out of traffic.

Brought the car home today and didn't really notice much since the drive is five minutes at most. I go out to Best Buy later and . I seriously almost ran into somebody while I was getting on the highway.

I've lost so much 'feel' with the road. I seriously feel like I'm floating on one of those 'air hockey' boards with the puck, or sliding on ice. The response SUCKS. I turn to level myself with the highway after driving up the ramp and

When I turn the wheel now, it's like the car yaw's the direction I turn in, but then doesn't actually turn until a split second later. Before I could turn the wheel really fast back and forth just a little bit in each direction and I felt like the car followed the exact path I told it to, when I told it to. Little tiny turns if you will. To test, I did the same thing on a road when nobody was on it with the new tires.

The car did that yawing crap again and once the back end almost broke. Part of it is that there is so much more body roll now too.

I really wanna kill myself.

I want to take the tires back and pay the difference for something better.

These SUCK!!!

Note to self: ALWAYS buy my own tires from now on.

/rant
Old 07-20-2008, 06:44 PM
Registered Member

Sumitomo makes decent tires. Believe it or not their tires in the high end is equivalent to Toyo, Yokohoma, Hankook, Michelin, Bridgestone, etc.
Old 07-20-2008, 06:48 PM
Registered Member

^^^

They sure as hell don't feel like high end tires....
Old 07-20-2008, 06:50 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by TS_eXpeed
^^^

They sure as hell don't feel like high class tires....
They probably bought the lower end. But they do make decent tires.
Old 07-20-2008, 06:51 PM
Registered Member

Lol, I wish NTB would take them back and let me buy something better... :idea:
Old 07-20-2008, 06:51 PM
Registered Member

I paid $470 For all 4 Toyo Proxy-4s Installed with bal+alin included !

You got boned !

I love my tires .
Old 07-20-2008, 06:52 PM
Registered Member

^^^^Damn good deal
Old 07-20-2008, 06:55 PM
Registered Member

I wish NTB would let me take them back and buy something better....

Hmm....
Old 07-20-2008, 06:56 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by HI OFECR
I paid $470 For all 4 Toyo Proxy-4s Installed with bal+alin included !

You got boned !

I love my tires .

Well my dad did now since he decided to get them for me.

Tires + alin = $763

Old 07-20-2008, 06:58 PM
Registered Member

Ok, maybe its just one of those "They're not bad, you just have to get used to it..." kind of things.

I beg to differ.

I was gonna go buy myself some new tires yesterday, but my parents intervened and we're like "Oh, well we'll help you out since you are about to go off to college and we know you're already buying everything, blah blah blah"

So I go down to the local NTB and after some discussion got these tires (by a company I've never heard before...I didn't have a whole lot of say since he was buying....BAAAAAD idea) from Sumitomo. Sumi what??

I talk myself out of judging a tire before riding it just cause I've never heard the name. It sounded like a pretty good tire. He got them because they had a 70,000 mile warranty, and were only $140 a pop. Mind you, I am not an extremely spirited driver either, I usually drive at or under the speed limit, and aren't weaving in and out of traffic.

Brought the car home today and didn't really notice much since the drive is five minutes at most. I go out to Best Buy later and . I seriously almost ran into somebody while I was getting on the highway.

I've lost so much 'feel' with the road. I seriously feel like I'm floating on one of those 'air hockey' boards with the puck, or sliding on ice. The response SUCKS. I turn to level myself with the highway after driving up the ramp and

When I turn the wheel now, it's like the car yaw's the direction I turn in, but then doesn't actually turn until a split second later. Before I could turn the wheel really fast back and forth just a little bit in each direction and I felt like the car followed the exact path I told it to, when I told it to. Little tiny turns if you will. To test, I did the same thing on a road when nobody was on it with the new tires.

The car did that yawing crap again and once the back end almost broke. Part of it is that there is so much more body roll now too.

These SUCK!!!

/rant

i paid 110 or so a pop for Falken Ziex ZE 912 with a decent 40k warranty on them and free balance and rotate for life. i walked out the door paying 480 with tax and im from houston as well

now the tires are 102.00 a pop and i like them, they are pretty good and has 4 out of 5 stars on them on the website and it has a lot of good reviews
Old 07-20-2008, 06:58 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by raheel616
i paid 110 or so a pop for Falken Ziex ZE 912 with a decent 40k warranty on them and free balance and rotate for life. i walked out the door paying 480 with tax and im from houston as well

Well, did you like the tires?
Old 07-20-2008, 07:10 PM
Senior Moderator

You can read reviews and everything there.

Even Bridgestone Pole Positions aren't very expensive and are good tires. I like mine.
Old 07-20-2008, 07:13 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by LuvMyTSX

You can read reviews and everything there.

Even Bridgestone Pole Positions aren't very expensive and are good tires. I like mine.

Yea, I've been looking at that for the past 30 minutes or so.

For crying out loud, I could've gotten Goodyear Eagle F1's for three dollars more a tire.

My mothers CTS has those and they feel great.
Old 07-20-2008, 08:40 PM
08 MDX with Sports

psi 32

Check your new tire pressure..
Old 07-20-2008, 09:07 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Newplay1
Check your new tire pressure..

Nothing drastic..

My pressures are:

FR: 34
RR: 31
FL: 33
RL: 32

Feels like I'm driving on jello though
Old 07-20-2008, 09:19 PM
Registered Member

I beg to differ.

These SUCK!!!

/rant
I actually read your post. You said you have more body roll, that means your new tires are actually stickier than your old tires. Stickier tires will lead to more body roll during cornering since its able to handle higher lateral forces, transfering it to your suspension. Tires can make your car handle brilliantly or it can shine a light on the weakness of your suspension set up. You say you feel your car yawing in the direction you turn in. That means your car is actually slow to transfer the weight from corner to corner. Sounds definitely like your new tires are stickier in terms of grip.
Old 07-20-2008, 09:24 PM
Registered Member

And you complain of slow reaction during turn in, definitely you can use an upgrade in sway bars. Whenever you upgrade to a stickier set up, you will have more body roll. That forces the car's suspension to work in a different manner than intended. I could go on for days on suspension set up and tires but I'll spare you
Old 07-20-2008, 10:17 PM
Senior Moderator

What's the actual model of the tires?
Old 07-20-2008, 10:28 PM
Registered Member

Break em in first.
Old 07-20-2008, 10:30 PM
Audi Driving Snob

sumitomo HTRZ III summer tires are really nice. Every company(even Pirellis) has their shit tires. Looks like you bought the winners Always do your research on tirerack ahead of time if you can....
Old 07-20-2008, 10:40 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by EuRTSX
Break em in first.
You don't need to break in street tires. Only tires that need heat cycling are R compounds and slicks.
Old 07-20-2008, 11:17 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by JTso
What's the actual model of the tires?

Sumitomo Touring LSV??
Old 07-20-2008, 11:19 PM
Registered Member

Is it possible when they did the alignment, they jacked something up with my steering.

Now, I haven't driven an 09, but after thinking about it, thats kind of what it seems like it might feel like. I don't have any road feel. I had my ex drive it too, and she says it doesn't feel right (she used to drive a bad ass MINI). It's like when I turn it, it takes a second before a response kicks in. Whether that is a result of the tires or the actual steering idk.
Old 07-20-2008, 11:21 PM
Registered Member

Sumitomo Touring LSV??
They're ALL Season M/S tires. Whats the wear rating and traction rating. Read my previous post. And I have also posted a few while back about body roll and tires.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:24 AM
Registered Member

hmm i thought Sumitomo's were reallly goood tires...

and TS_eXpeed you post on HI??
Old 07-21-2008, 09:31 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ThirdLane
You don't need to break in street tires. Only tires that need heat cycling are R compounds and slicks.

Regardless of street/race tires, I always thought, any tire needed to be broken in. New street tires have a release agent/rubber compound mold that needs to be scrubbed off, which is why they're shiny?
Old 07-21-2008, 09:37 AM
Registered Member

Street tires do indeed have to be broken in. They come all covered in the lubricant they apply to the mold so they can get the tire back out. There's also something called tread squirm. Your old tires were probably getting fairly worn meaning the tread depth was quite low. This makes the response quicker because there is less "squirm" in the tire due there being less rubber to flex and deform. When you go to brand new tires the tread is much deeper and the rubber can move around a lot more.

I suspect though that since your tires are warrantied for 70k miles the main selling point is tread life. There is always a trade off between tread life and performance. Sticky tires wear out fast. Long lasting tires aren't sticky.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:15 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by LukeaTron
Street tires do indeed have to be broken in. They come all covered in the lubricant they apply to the mold so they can get the tire back out. There's also something called tread squirm. Your old tires were probably getting fairly worn meaning the tread depth was quite low. This makes the response quicker because there is less "squirm" in the tire due there being less rubber to flex and deform. When you go to brand new tires the tread is much deeper and the rubber can move around a lot more.

I suspect though that since your tires are warrantied for 70k miles the main selling point is tread life. There is always a trade off between tread life and performance. Sticky tires wear out fast. Long lasting tires aren't sticky.
Well if I have anything to say about it, I'll sure as hell make 'em sticky.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:16 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by LiLS
hmm i thought Sumitomo's were reallly goood tires...

and TS_eXpeed you post on HI??

Post on HI???

....huh?
Old 07-21-2008, 12:51 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

What size is the tire? That will make a difference in handling too.
Old 07-21-2008, 01:36 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Tsx536
What size is the tire? That will make a difference in handling too.

Stock
Old 07-21-2008, 02:26 PM
Registered Member

Well if I have anything to say about it, I'll sure as hell make 'em sticky.
Hard rubber is hard rubber.
Old 07-21-2008, 02:43 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by LukeaTron
Hard rubber is hard rubber.

Not if you make them really hot.

Old 07-22-2008, 12:00 PM
T.DoT P.I.M.P. lol

Not if you make them really hot.

Man, you or parent were over paid all those Sumitomo AS tires. If you want better traction and road feel down the road, sell them NOW because it gets too worn out. Falken ZE-512/912 are very nice AS tires w/ strong traction, if AS is what you are looking for.